Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pennies IV

How long can this "lucky penny" thing last, I wondered. Finding them so often, I started noting the calendar for fun. My mind would even calculate ahead how many more days could pass without finding one whenever I'd pick up a larger denomination.

One day, after I'd gone for about a week without finding any coins, I began thinking, guess my life is not really that special, oh well--maybe a quarter next week will make it up. Later that day I went to pay a bill. When I handed over the check, the lady said, "Oh, it's you. You're the one, the winner!" I was puzzled. A scruffy customer next to me growled, "Just accept it." "It" was a lovely lidded Italian glass jar filled with JellyBellies, the number of which I had guessed a month before, a part of the Easter decor. As she handed it to me, she said, "Wait, there's more--you also get a $25 Meijer Gift Card!" I swallowed my giddy laughter as I nodded to the man and thanked the lady very much.

Once outside, I laughed so hard I felt 10 pounds lighter. God has a sense of humor. The next day, I had my students calculate how many days of "lucky pennies" I'd been given. 2,500 days, of course--almost seven years. Everyone loved the JellyBellies.

2 comments:

  1. LUCKY!!!!!

    or...

    blessed?

    Either way, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still laugh when I remember how puny my idea of luck/blessing was. :o) I think the "secret" to coin-finding is simply to walk a lot in the city--ha. I had a friend who used to take a plastic bag along to hold the bottles and cans she'd pick up. She actually saved enough from the deposit/returns to pay for a surprise vacation for her husband and herself! I keep meaning to bring a bag, but I always forget. duh.

    ReplyDelete